This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Creating Application Shortcuts

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Hi Christopher

I'll start by saying I'm a newbie to WIX and found your IsWix project yesterday simply because I thought a GUI interface might make things a bit easier to figure out. I watched your "Packaging a Windows Service" video which helped me greatly in getting my application packaged up (a short video on a "Hello World" application would be very helpful ;) ).

I'm now fine-tuning things and cannot figure out how to create a shortcut to the program on the Start Menu. I see in your source that you have a Shortcut designer but even after selecting each of the files in the project I never see the shortcut designer as an option. Am I totally missing something?
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Sorry, several designers (including shortcuts) were stubbed out but never finished. (Hence the blue traffic cone icon for under construction ). First use IsWiX to author your EXE dir/comp/file relationship. Then mark up the rest by hand. For an example of what that should look like take a look at: https://iswix.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#main/Source/Installer/IsWiXMM/IsWiXMM.wxs
Mar 4, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Thank you. I was just looking at the source here on Codeplex so I didn't see the traffic cone. I'll take a look at the file you linked to.

Thanks for the help.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM
You're welcome. FWIW, ISWIX will generally not molest custom markups. The exception is if you delete the parent component or directory and in that case all the children are removed. Another exception is authoring directories and components / files as ISWIX wants to manage this (hashing, sorting). Most custom markups can be done as child elements of component elements. If you need a new component and don't want to use ISWIX to author it you can use the "xxxxx-custom.wxs" file created by the merge module project template to author additional wix in a referenced fragment and never load that wxs file in iswix.
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM
I'm feeling a little motivated over the holidays. I'm going to try to knock out the rest of the ShortCuts designer by Jan 5, 2015. I'd love some help if you have C# Winforms/LINQ experience.
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2015 at 5:10 AM
I'm a few months late but we finally have support for shortcuts in the 3.0 release!
Marked as answer by chrpai on 4/15/2015 at 10:10 PM
Jun 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for adding the shortcut support! I'm new to IsWix, but loving it. :) Wondering if you could add support for external shortcuts as well. Currently you only have support to add a shortcut to one of the files in the project. It would be great to be able to add an uninstall shortcut through the GUI as well.
Coordinator
Jan 6 at 3:02 AM
That authoring is a lot more complicated. I'd recommend using a -custom.wxs fragment and authoring it their by hand using the example show on Rob's blog.
Coordinator
Jan 6 at 3:03 AM
PS- We have a "hello world" desktop application video now also at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnV_OU6fk8c