This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

instlaing to the gac

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Hi,
I am looking to create a set of merge module projects that deal with installing files to the gac. I cant see a folder option to do this. is it possible to do this if so how is it done?
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. When IsWiX was created, we intentionally choose to limit what common well known folders IsWiX would expose to the user. We were concerned that users (developers who weren't setup experts) would target directories that would be problematic. We wanted to force the developer to initiate a conversation when they hit this wall.

I no longer work at that company and IsWiX's mission is evolving where this doesn't make as much sense anymore. A future version of IsWiX will enable authoring to the GAC. Until then, the way to accomplish this is in the "-custom.wxs" fragment that gets created in the merge module project. You can author a Directory/Component/File element manually referencing the GlobalAssemblyCache folder and add the Component Id to the ComponentGroup element and it'll all get included in the resulting .MSM for merging into your .MSI.