This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Missing UI parts

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM
I am using VS2015, and IsWiX UI is missing most importan blocks in design view:
  • Files and Folders designer.
  • Services designer.
  • Shortcuts designer.
In the About IsWiX they show up as the rest of components.
Any ideas??
Oct 2, 2016 at 3:40 AM
Yeah, I got this too. Try "Wax" in Visual studio.
Dec 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM
I'm encountering the same problem. These tabs only appear in merge modules (which I don't use), but not in MSI projects.

Wax is not a solution for web projects because it takes source informations from a csproj, and cannot "understand" the final output after a publish (_PublishedWebsite content).

Have you found how to enable these tabs for MSI projects ?
Coordinator
Jan 6 at 4:01 AM
IsWiX designers examine the loaded document and decide whether they are applicable or not. The three designers mentioned are for merge module wxs files not fragments or products. Others such as the Properties designer are for all types and others like Features is for Product or Fragment only. They are all context sensitive and fit into the project template structure provided by IsWiX.
Jan 23 at 2:36 PM
Please consider I can't use merge modules, because I want my setup version to fit with the version of the main assembly dll (using bind.FileVersion) in an automated process.

The three designers mentioned just CAN apply to a fragment or a product, if you don't use Merge modules : the work is the same, you just have to add the ComponentGroupRef in the first feature of the product.

I contribute to Wax project on GitHub, and we handle files and folders directly in Setup projects, for those who don't want or can't use Merge modules.

Wix is a very flexible solution, I really think IsWix can be flexible as well, allowing to edit files and directories for setup projects.